Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Heart of Teaching

"What people need and what they want may be very different.... Teachers are those who educate the people to appreciate the things they need. - Elbert Hubbard"


"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.  ~Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"


Yes I'm gonna tell it to the world... Loud and Proud... I am a teacher... it's in the blood... my aunt is a teacher, my grand mom's sister was a teacher when she was still alive, some of my cousins are teachers too. But will that make me a good one. Does having a lot of relatives who are doing the same profession make you an effective and efficient one?


Ive been doing this noble job for five years, and I am proud to say that every single moment working and doing this job is very fruitful and rewarding.  Yeah there are a lot of ups and downs, but if you have the heart, plus long rope of patience you can pass a day smiling and not worrying about what's going to happen the next day.


Teachers make our tomorrows leaders. Those people who are going to build our nation stronger, the future leaders, the future scientists and inventors, they are all going to start in that four cornered room called classroom. They are all going to face the challenges of everyday quizzes, recitations and grumble to every homeworks, projects and long exams that they have to take. They will occasionally experience being yelled at or preached by a very dedicated teacher who just hoping them nothing but to learn and grow as a fully developed individual, who is ready to face the big world's challenges.


Two years ago, I was so down and frustrated. I was on the act of giving up and wanting to leave the profession I have embraced and cherished for a long time. My mind was battling over my heart. My heart telling me to stay and think about what's going to happen to my students when i leave but my mind was telling me not to worry about those people who don't even appreciate and recognize what you are doing for them. After a month of contemplating... I made a decision. What my mind's telling me is right. It's time for me to think about myself and explore. There are a lot of opportunities waiting for me out side the corner of this small room. It's way better than talking and teaching about the books online over the phone and computer ( I am an online instructor). So that night I wrote my resignation letter, telling my boss that I can't do the job anymore. But something happened the next day that made me embraced and love this profession even more.


I went to work the next day. I was planning to give my letter to my boss after my work that night. So i still did my daily task... called the students...talked to them explained the lesson. Since my heart was no longer beating to what  I was doing, plus the decision I've made the day before, I was getting frustrated and more impatient to those students who couldnt get the lesson easily and kept doing the same mistakes no matter how many times I had explained the instructions to them. 


.... it was in my last class.... just imagine all the negative energies I have absorbed since my first call on that day... I was about to explode... She's 18 years old and her English is not that good. I had to repeat my self a few times or rephrased my questions before she could understand. I was about to yell at her when she suddenly stopped and called my attention. 


"Teacher?" she said
" Yes Julie!" me sounding mad
Julie in her shy but cheerful voice. " I know you are very very tired teaching me. I am very slow and very not good, but teacher Gen...uhmmm...me...Julie...likes teacher very much.... thank you teacher for teaching me....uhmmm me want to say that.... Julie appreciate you very very much.... and everyday...me....very very happy..every time ....teacher Gen calling me...."  


After hearing those words coming not only from her lips but also from her heart...my heart sank... I found myself crying... tears of joy... that's what I needed to hear. How can I forget those sweet and sincere words from a student who really appreciate you and so bold enough to say her thanks even though she's having a hard time explaining herself in English. "It is indeed very rewarding. This is one of the gifts that money can't buy." 


That night after my work, I decided not to give my resignation letter to my boss.  I crumpled it and threw it into the first garbage can i saw. =)


~genskie~







No comments:

Post a Comment